Friday, October 30, 2009

Vanishing Vapour, by Brandon T. Minster

I don't know how I feel about this book. Originally I thought it was a good story that suffered from the ability (or lack thereof) of the storyteller. Then I started to think, "But actually, I'm not sure the story is so good." But by the time I got to the last third, I wanted to see what happened next, so I guess the story can't be all that bad.

The main character is a middle-aged office worker who kills himself. (I didn't include a "spoiler alert" warning because that's not a surprise; he (as the narrator) tells you himself in the first sentence.) The book deals with what he thought he'd find in the afterlife, how that differs from what he actually finds, and what that means for him.

Again, I don't know how to rate the book. Sometimes I think, "This is crap," and other times I think, "I've read much worse." Sometimes I think, "The lack of stage direction during the dialog shows spartan economy," and other times I think, "It's because he left out the little details that a better writer would have remembered." But I find the story compelling, the type that makes me think about it long after I've finished reading.

Rating: 5 out of 7 giant inflatable monkeys.

2 comments:

  1. Nice cover. Any idea as to why Mr. Minster chose the British spelling of vapor in his title? British office worker? Will the American version have a Steve Carell-type character and last too long? 437p. is a mighty lot. Kudos on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I don't think you wrote a 437 page book, but if you did, I'm curious...hmmm

    ReplyDelete