Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Young Men in Spats, by P.G. Wodehouse

My sister complained recently that all I read anymore are P.G. Wodehouse books. Since she bought a gift card for my birthday, I decided to use it to branch out from Wodehouse books. I bought Wake Up, Sir! by Jonathan Ames, which the New York Times Book Review called a "Wodehouse novel for the recovery era."

But now I'm back in school and that book is going to have to wait. In the meanwhile, I read Young Men in Spats, a collection of Wodehouse stories. Most of the stories are of the "Eggs, Beans, and Crumpets" variety, with the final three being Mr. Mulliner stories.

I decided to read this book because one of the Drones stories is about Uncle Fred, and it precedes the Uncle Fred novels. I enjoyed it, but I liked the three Mr. Mulliner stories the best. I'd go into more detail, but it seems sort of pointless, since no one is reading this.

Rating: 6 out of 7 giant inflatable monkeys.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, so you're using the gift card to buy something that is just like a Wodehouse novel, but isn't? I'm not sure that qualifies as branching out... at best it's "twigging out". I knew I should have just purchased something and then told you "you can take it back if you don't like it". Just wait. Next year: Maeve Binchy all the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. plz i need a summary of this book
    young men i spats plz fast

    ReplyDelete