Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens

Three years ago I decided to make a push through the great Victorian novels. That hasn't really happened yet. I still have the plan, I just don't have the time. From what I've read online, this book is fairly atypical of Dickens (my previous Dickens exposure being a reading of Great Expectations, several viewings of A Christmas Story, several more viewings of Scrooged, and an evening in the audience of a junior-high production of Nicholas Nickleby). I enjoyed the book, although like the movie Transformers, it had about five endings too many. I got to the point where there were probably 15 pages of material remaining to resolve the conflict, and there were 85 pages left in the book. But that's what happens when novels get serialized weekly. Why do you think The Count of Monte Cristo is as long as it is?

Rating: 5.5 out of 7 giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment