Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Winston Churchill, by John Keegan

I've read a bit about Churchill, and I've read other books from this series (Martin Luther, Martin Luther King, Buddha, Joseph Smith, Abraham Lincoln). This book would be a fine introduction to Churchill's life. The first half would be good to read along with Churchill's My Early Life to help set straight some of the self-servingness inherent in autobiography. However, at times this book felt poorly edited, when words were used with awkward frequency, or when a story told 50 pages before was repeated without acknowledging that it wasn't new material to the reader. Another problem is that Churchill lived an incredibly long and full life, and the scope of the series (200 pages each) doesn't allow for much analysis if he's going to fit everything in. I'm looking forward to reading Keegan's history of World War I, which I've owned for a while but haven't gotten to yet.

Rating: 5 out of 7 giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment