Sunday, April 25, 2010

How to Receive Discernible Answers to Your Prayers, by Jeffrey R. Young

The first time I read this book (late 2004 or early 2005), I thought it was full of wonderful insights. I was certain it was the type of book that would reward a closer follow-up reading. Now that I've read it again, though, I'm not so sure. Maybe once was enough.

Or maybe I just didn't as much attention this time. Either way, if I were going to rate this book solely on whether it produced the promised results (i.e.: discernible answers to my prayers), I'd give it, like, negative eight billionty inflatable monkeys. I don't think God got the "just telling people it'll be all right is not the same thing as helping them" memo. Maybe Jeffrey Young can write a book to take care of that little communication mix-up.

He's got some valuable points in this book; the kind of stuff you wish you heard in quorum meetings (instead of the speculation and self-congratulations you regularly hear). He uses a lot of examples from trying times in his own life to show how he dealt with the challenges.

Rating: four and a half out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment