Sunday, April 25, 2010

Love Among the Chickens, by P.G. Wodehouse

I've plucked most of the low-hanging Wodehouse fruit. Now if I want to read every book he's written, I've got to start doing some detective work to find the less-known works from his early career. What's nice, though, is that they were all written before our modern era of "don't call it perpetual" perpetual copyright, which means they're in the public domain, and available on the Internet.

This was my first experience with reading a book on the Internet. If I were richer and/or more technologically savvy, I would have a digital reader, but reading a book on my laptop is the closest I've come to it so far. The Internet reading experience was more annoying than a book, and I don't think the negative points are things that will go away as I become more used to it. But the experience wasn't so horrible as to swear me off the practice; as I get to more public-domain Wodehouse books I need to read, I'll look them up on Google Books if my local library doesn't have them.

Plot-wise, I think I'd read something that said this book wasn't that good. I disagree. I liked it just fine. It was a good, typical Wodehouse novel, with a romance set in a comic atmosphere. Ukridge is one of the more-memorable of Wodehouse's larger-than-life characters. There was much to like, and little to dislike.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment