Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Paper Towns, by John Green

I liked this book best of the three John Green books I read this spring. I think it was well-written and dealt with some of the same "life's so hard for teenagers, man" stuff that Looking for Alaska dealt with, without resorting to the hagiography that I felt the narrator in the other book showered on Alaska Young. The girl in this book, Margo, has flaws that aren't presented as tragically wonderful; they are serious and constricting. Whereas (spoiler alert) Alaska dies and so achieves a bit of retrospective perfectness, this girl is found alive and cannot measure up to the image of her the main character has created. I think it is a good story about idealism and its shortcomings in the real world. Even though a lot of it seemed like it was based on a high school senior's term paper on "Leaves of Grass," the book was readable and enjoyable.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment