Monday, April 5, 2010

A Separate Peace, by John Knowles

I went to the school library with the plan of reading about monetary disequilibria. Somehow it ended up being more enjoyable browsing the literature stacks. I saw this book and thought, "I've heard of it enough that I should probably have read it." I really liked it. It was one of those books that made me feel like I was missing a lot of the meaning, so afterwards I read the Cliffs Notes, which was sort of helpful. I spent a lot of the book unsure if Phineas was really as great as Gene thought he was, or if he was actually the antagonist, which might be a sign of good writing, since Gene was unsure, himself. I like this book a lot better as a "coming of age" story than The Catcher in the Rye, and wonder why it was never really discussed as a potential book to read in any of my high school English classes. When I blogged that I was reading this, lots of readers left comments about how much they like this book, too, so my wife has checked it out of the library and is now working on it herself.

Rating: six and a half out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment