Thursday, May 27, 2010

Getting What You Came For, by Robert L. Peters

I just finished the first year of a doctoral program. The advice in this book actually begins with the decision of whether or not to even apply to graduate school, in your junior year as an undergraduate. Because of that, a lot of the first 100 pages was stuff that didn't really apply to me anymore, but it was all stuff that made me think, "I wish I'd thought of that back then." But it also might have completely turned me off to the idea. But then that might have been the better decision. But it comes with a free frogurt. The frogurt is also cursed.

There was incredibly helpful advice here about how to structure a dissertation committee and how to manage the work. One startling aspect of the book was just how out-of-date it was, even though it was published in the mid-1990s. All the advice about how to send away for information through the mail and how to choose a personal computer was shockingly backward. If you get off on crap like that, I pontificated more fully on the subject here.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment