Monday, June 28, 2010

Bunnicula, by Deborah and James Howe

I remember listening to my father read this book to us when I was very little. I also remember being scared witless by it (it was age-appropriate for my older siblings, not for me). So I was ambivalent about reading it to my kids. After all, these are the kids who get frightened by Anne Shirley accidentally dying her hair green.

My kids started out scared of it, mainly because it was about a vampire rabbit. My daughter asked that we read it closer to dinner and not last thing before bed. But when they quickly figured out that the book is not as scary as they (or young me) thought it was, they warmed up to it. While my daughter never stopped declaring, "Dominic stinks!" the whole time we were reading that book, she only said it about Bunnicula for a few chapters before stopping.

If only something could be done about the characters. Bunnicula doesn't talk, and the other two are named Harold and Chester. Is this a retirement home or a kids' book? The human children were pretty dopey, too, but at least the dog and the cat are lively enough to make up for them. My kids laughed at the appropriate places and complained at the end of each reading, so that must count for something.

Rating: five out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment