Monday, June 21, 2010

Fathers As Patriarchs, by Grant Von Harrison

I went to see the president speak and security took away my vial of consecrated oil. When I went to the bookstore to buy another, I browsed for a while and found this book at a substantial discount. [Question: should I not mention when I buy books on sale, buy them at used book stores, or check them out of the library? Is that insulting to the authors?] I decided to get it because I needed to make my purchase amount larger to justify the store's expense of the debit transaction. Then it turned out the vials weren't as cheap as I thought they'd be, so I didn't need to inflate the total amount at all, but the book had already been in my hands, and Richard Thaler tells us there was no turning back.

It was a good purchase. I enjoyed reading this book, and it was a pretty timely find, since I had recently been thinking about how to make sure I'm not exercising unrighteous dominion over my kids while still making them do exactly as I say. (Harrison didn't really solve that mystery for me.) This book also made me more fully appreciate the job my father did in raising me. Plenty of Harrison's good ideas were things I remembered happening in my home. I'm not sure this book is going to be a regular re-read like Drawing on the Powers of Heaven, but it will definitely be one I refer back to regularly as a reference.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment