Sunday, June 13, 2010

Utterly Me, Clarice Bean, by Lauren Child

My daughter loves these books. Even though she's already read them all, she asked me to make this "her" book. (Somewhere along the way I screwed up and allowed them to each have a night-time book, doubling my reading load. What if we keep having kids? I'm done for.) Maybe it's because there are some words she still sort of guesses at. When it comes to reading she is emphatically punching above her weight, with the delightful results that we get to hear her use the word "chaos" in conversation with the pronunciation "chay-ose." So I guess she just wanted to make sure she was understanding everything when she read them on her own.

I liked this book. I liked the way Lauren Child contrasted the fantasy life of Ruby Redfort with the real life of Clarice Bean. My daughter is excited because, evidently, Lauren Child is now writing Ruby Redfort books, too.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment