Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

I read this book so there would be a buffer between the spate of church books I read and Angels and Demons. It just seemed a little weird having them next to each other, so I read this one in a day or so.

I read this book in seventh grade, and I didn't remember much of it, aside from trying to cross the street when the super-fast cars are trying to run Guy down. In terms of believability, I'm not sure I agree with top-down dystopia novels like this and 1984; I find the bottom-up dystopia of Brave New World a much more-likely scenario.

In terms of bottom-up, the interactive entertainment systems seems like a pretty good forecast of where the future opiate of the masses will be found. I didn't like the resolution, that everything will be okay because we have hobos who've memorized the destroyed books. What's the point of having books, so hobos can tell each other stories? Their preservation is trivial unless they are preserved for a purpose. In that sense, the top-down book burning needn't happen if we have a bottom-up ignorance of books, and that seems to be where we're going.

Rating: four and a half out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment