Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Path to Freedom, by Michael Collins

I like to read autobiographies where possible, figuring I'd rather hear from the source itself. I know this is fraught with peril about self-serving rewriting of history, but it's usually a pretty good rule. (If the subject is especially interesting, I'll read biographies afterward to compare.) So when I got to the library and decided I wanted a book on Michael Collins, they had two or three written by other people, and this book written by Collins himself. I naturally selected this one.

I wish I hadn't. It could have been entitled, Boring Irish Op-Eds From 100 Years Ago. I learned more from the foreword (written in that annoyingly breezily familiar "journalism" style that seems so popular for features these days) than I did from the book itself. Collins just seemed to say, "Irish people have it TOUGH, yo!", over and over again. If I wanted to hear that, I'd put The Cranberries' song "Zombie" on repeat.

Rating: two out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment