Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Understanding the Book of Revelation, by Jay A. Parry and Donald W. Parry

Earlier this year, I finished re-reading the New Testament. I understood Revelation better than before, but I still felt like there was a lot I wasn't getting. A few years ago, I asked for this book as a Christmas present from my wife's parents, and now seemed like a good time to read it, so soon after reading Revelation.

I can't really say, "This aspect of Revelation is clearer to me now," or anything like that, but I definitely feel like I understand the book better. What's more, I have a much greater sense of immediacy, an appreciation for the truthfulness of Revelation and the importance in my life. Previous readings of Revelation always seemed remote to me; either it was an ancient book, or it was about the distant future. This time I felt much more strongly that it was timely and important. I don't know if that is from the Parrys' book or from Revelation itself, but it is a major change in my outlook on scripture.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment