Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hector and the Search for Happiness, by François Lelord

On a family trip to the bookstore, I saw this book. I know everyone says judging a book by its cover is a bad thing, but the truth is we all do it, and it works out pretty well. I'm not ashamed to say I judged the crap out of this book based on its cover. I made a note to get my hands on a copy someplace cheaper (and yet my wife continually asks me, "Why is Borders going out of business?").

That "someplace cheaper" turned out to be Target, where I selected it as a Christmas present for my wife to give to me. And thanks to the number of things I have distracting me, I honestly forgot about it until I opened the present. Maybe I should pick out all my Christmas presents.

I liked this book. I thought it had a nice balance of moral and story. I've read Who Moved My Cheese? and, because I'm evidently a glutton for punishment, The Present, so I know all about books that beat you over the head with their too-cute fables. This book wasn't like that at all. Hector traveled to visit friends in distant countries, taking notes on aspects of happiness he learned along the way. A perfectly good book, with some good insights into the nature of happiness.

Rating: six out of seven giant inflatable monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment